Sunday, October 10, 2010

Back in the States - Challenge #2

So, Rob and I have arrived at the first challenge from across the miles. The trip back went uncharacteristically smooth for me; even Riddic couldn't believe how seamless it went. That was, until, we got on the Capital Beltway For any of you that have been on the Beltway at rush hour, you will know what I mean. Long story short: it took us three hours to travel approximately 50 miles!

On Saturday morning, my Mom, Kari, and I headed over to CrossFit Blacksburg. It was awesome to see how Amy and Neil (the owners) have progressed over the last two years. I remember when I was at my parents' house last...it was around the same time that Amy was transitioning out of her garage and into a bigger box. She had four clients. Now, her and Neil are in their third location, and are knocking down more walls to expand even further. Oh, and did I mention that they now have upwards of 100 clients--and they accomplished all of this just shy of two years!

Now, onto the WOD (that Amy so graciously programmed):

With a partner*, complete as many rounds as possible in 12 minutes of:
10 Hang snatches, 115lbs (50kg)**
30 Pull-ups
Run 400 meters***

*Partners must switch off and on for snatches and pull-ups
**Athlete may power snatch; however, must ride down to full squat
***Next round cannot start next until both athletes return from run

My partner, Jesse, happened to be one of the CrossFit Blacksburg trainers: he was Beast-status. We ended up completing four rounds + approximately 200 meters.

Rob's experience:

I believe in Keeping Promises.

I knew from the get-go that we would be challenged just because of the time differences. Yesterday's kettlebell seminar that was held here at CrossFit Ansbach showed me a few things. First of all, I am sore! Lower back, glutes and hams are fried. But as stated, I am obligated to keep this going. If you guys ever make it to Austria check these guys out:
Dominik Feischl and Oliver Klettner speak very good english and are very good and patient instructors.

So on with the story. I did this Challenge with a new training partner, David Koch. This kid is going to be a power house in a few months. He learns fast and is strong. However, as should always be when learning new movements, SAFETYcomes first. David used 40Kg for the Hang Snatch.

So after warming up forever and a day, we took off and finished with 3 rounds. We had 15sec to finish the 400m. So we just stopped the watch and ran the 400m as part of a cool down.
I might add that we had our CF Ansbach 1 year anniversary party last night and it showed in our score today! ;-P

Thanks for the Challenge Bro!

2 comments:

  1. Okay Brian, My Lower back, glutes and hams are fried. The KB seminar was kick ass. But as we both know, the challenge must go on!

    I am going to take some time warming up though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Prehistoric cam only got 60 seconds of round 1. ;-(

    ReplyDelete