Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Jambalaya" - Challenge #5

It is always great to have a workout partner--especially when that partner is helping you stack weights on and off the bar. Kari, my wife, just happened to be that partner today; I would have been one frustrated dude if it wasn't for her.

The first task of this workout was a 200 meter farmer's carry with 20kg in each hand. Because my kettlebells have not arrived yet, I used two 45lb bumper plates. These were extremely unmanageable. The first 200 meters wasn't so bad; however, once the second 200 meters came up, the slick new bumpers proved to be very difficult to hold on to--more so because of my sweaty hands! So, for the second go-a-round, I chose to just carry one 45lb plate...I rested it behind my neck and on my back. Sorry Rob...I tried to keep the WOD as Rx'd as I could! As mentioned above, there was a lot of putting on and taking off of bumper plates. But again, I had the assistance of my lovely wife, so it wasn't that bad.

The weight on the barbell lifts was definitely challenging--I wanted to do unbroken sets but it just wasn't in the cards for today. Overall, I felt pretty good about my performance; however, I really would have liked to crack off the reps faster! On a separate note...I could not believe how hot and humid it was...and it is almost November here! I am dreading the summers...

My time: 11:44

Check out the short video below--unfortunately my video camera's battery died on me shortly into the workout.



Rob's Story.

I can only agree with Brian. There is nothing better then having a partner to help push you or assist you with your training.

I was fortunate to have Reid and Lisa train with me on this one!
Our weather over here in Ansbach is chilly. It was 2° Celcius in the Box. However, we didn't have to deal with humidity. (I still like warm weather though)

This Challenge was a good, short test of mental and physical capacity. Helping us prepare for the UNkown and UNknowable.

Love the name Brian!

200m farmer carry, 20kg each hand (we used a 20kg and a 24kg kb)
12 x bw back squats
20 sit-ups
7 x squat cleans at 155#
7 x sumo deadlift high pulls, 155#
20 sit-ups
7 x thrusters, 155#
200m farmer carry, 20kg each hand
12 bw back squats
20 sit-ups
7 x jerks, 155#

Our times were:
reid.14:43
lisa.17:06
bou. 12:48 - did it by himself later.
rob. 12:49
Thanks Brian for keeping this challenge alive!



No comments:

Post a Comment